Tag Archives: Derek Hanekom

Derek Hanekom welcomes dismissal of Zuma’s bid to appeal ‘enemy agent’ ruling

Former minister Derek Hanekom has welcomed Thursday’s court ruling dismissing former President Jacob Zuma’s bid to appeal a recent ruling on his “enemy agent” tweet.

In a statement, Hanekom said, “I sincerely hope that this matter – which has caused so much unnecessary division and pain – can finally be laid to rest.”

Judge Dhaya Pillay of the High Court in Pietermaritzburg dismissed Zuma’s application for leave to appeal with costs.

Zuma ‘conceded’ that Hanekom is not an apartheid spy

In his statement, Hanekom said Zuma had conceded in his court papers that he does not regard him as an apartheid spy or question his struggle credentials.

He added, “It is reversing the scourges of poverty, unemployment and inequality and building a united, non-racial, democratic society that must preoccupy us all.”

Zuma has not yet reacted to the ruling. It’s unclear at this stage what his next legal step would be. If he fails to take his appeal further, he would be compelled to pay damages to Hanekom.

In a hearing earlier this week, Zuma’s lawyer Thabani Masuku argued that the tweet had been taken out of context.

Zuma vs Hanekom: How it started

In July, Zuma tweeted that Hanekom was “a known enemy agent” following a revelation by Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) leader Julius Malema that he had met them to discuss Zuma’s removal from office.

He wrote, “I’m not surprised by @Julius_S_Malema revelations regarding @Derek_Hanekom. It is part of the plan I mentioned at the Zondo Commission. @Derek_Hanekom is a known enemy agent.”

Hanekom subsequently hauled the former President to court for defamation. He demanded a retraction, apology and R500,000 in damages.

Although Zuma opposed Hanekom’s lawsuit, he lost in early September. The court ruled that the tweet was “untrue, defamatory and unlawful.”

It also ordered Zuma to delete the tweet and publish an apology to Hanekom. However, Zuma filed leave to appeal, which has now been dismissed.

The former President has maintained all along that his tweet only referred to how Hanekom “connived with enemies and opposition parties” to remove him as president.

‘No reasonable prospects of success:’ Zuma loses bid to appeal Hanekom ruling

Former President Jacob Zuma’s legal woes continued on Thursday as he lost his bid to appeal a High Court ruling on his “enemy agent” tweet about former minister Derek Hanekom.

Judge Dhaya Pillay of the High Court in Pietermaritzburg dismissed Zuma’s application with costs.

He said, “In the opinion of this court an appeal of judgment would have no reasonable prospects of success before another court.”

‘Enemy agent’

In July, Zuma tweeted that Hanekom was “a known enemy agent” following a revelation by Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) leader Julius Malema that he had met them to discuss Zuma’s removal from office.

He wrote, “I’m not surprised by @Julius_S_Malema revelations regarding @Derek_Hanekom. It is part of the plan I mentioned at the Zondo Commission. @Derek_Hanekom is a known enemy agent.”

Hanekom subsequently hauled the former President to court for defamation. He demanded a retraction, apology and R500,000 in damages.

Although Zuma opposed Hanekom’s lawsuit, he lost in early September. The court ruled that the tweet was “untrue, defamatory and unlawful.”

It also ordered Zuma to delete the tweet and publish an apology to Hanekom. However, Zuma filed leave to appeal, which has now been dismissed.

‘Out of context’

In a hearing earlier this week, Zuma’s lawyer Thabani Masuku argued that the tweet had been taken out of context.

Zuma’s legal team had also argued that said his “enemy agent” comment only referred to how Hanekom “connived with enemies and opposition parties” to remove him as president.

However, Hanekom’s lawyer Carol Steinberg argued that “enemy agent” suggested that Hanekom was an apartheid spy.

She said the former minister was therefore “naturally upset” at the suggestion because he was among those who fought against apartheid.

It’s unclear at this stage what Zuma’s next legal step would be. If he fails to take his appeal further, he would be compelled to pay damages to Hanekom. The court is yet to determine the amount.

Zuma also recently lost his bid for a permanent stay of prosecution in his corruption trial. He has filed leave to appeal that ruling as well.

Zuma ordered to delete ‘known enemy agent’ tweet on Hanekom and apologise

Former Tourism Minister Derek Hanekom has won his defamation lawsuit against former President Jacob Zuma.

The Durban High Court on Friday ordered Zuma to delete his “known enemy agent” tweet about Hanekom.

Judge Dhaya Pillay ruled that the tweet was “untrue, defamatory and unlawful.”

She ordered Zuma to publish the following apology to Hanekom on Twitter within 24 hours:

On 25 July 2019, I published a tweet which alleges that Derek Hanekom is a known enemy agent. I unconditionally withdraw this allegation and apologise for making it as it is false.

Durban High Court’s apology order

Pillay said the ex-president would have to pay damages, but the exact amount will be decided at a later hearing.

“Known enemy agent”

Hanekom was seeking R500,000 in damages from Zuma after the latter posted the tweet in July.

I’m not surprised by @Julius_S_Malema revelations regarding @Derek_Hanekom. It is part of the plan I mentioned at the Zondo Commission. @Derek_Hanekom is a known enemy agent.

Jacob Zuma

Zuma was reacting to Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) leader Julius Malema’s claim that in 2017, Hanekom met EFF leaders to discuss removing Zuma from power.

In his court papers, Hanekom said Zuma’s claim “casts aspersions on my character and integrity.”

He denied ever being a spy for the apartheid “or for any other authority for that matter.”

In his defence, Zuma said his “enemy agent” comment only referred to how Hanekom “connived with enemies and opposition parties” to remove him as president.

[UPDATE] Zuma’s lawyers have filed leave to appeal the ruling.

Zuma: ANC should address Derek Hanekom spy allegation, not courts

Former President Jacob Zuma has argued that the courts are not the appropriate forum to address whether former minister Derek was an apartheid spy or not.

The African National Congress (ANC) should address the matter, he argued in court papers filed at the Durban High Court on Wednesday.

Hanekom’s anxiety about his professed role in the anti-apartheid struggle, whether or not this role was duplicitous and whether he was an apartheid plant within ANC structures, is misplaced in these proceedings.

Former President Jacob Zuma

He went on to say it’s a matter best left to the ANC and to “Hanekom’s own conscience.”

Zuma is opposing a defamation lawsuit against him by Hanekom, who claims that Zuma suggested he was an apartheid spy in a tweet he posted in July.

In the tweet, Zuma referred to Hanekom as “a known enemy agent.”

Zuma made the claim soon after Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) leader Julius Malema claimed Hanekom met them in 2017 to discuss Zuma’s removal from office.

Hanekom moved to court to seek an apology, retraction, and R500,000 in damages from Zuma over the claim.

However, the former president insists that his “enemy agent” comment only referred to how Hanekom “connived with enemies and opposition parties” to remove him as president.

As my tweet demonstrates, my removal as head of state was part of a broader plan by those opposed to the wishes and objectives of the party that deployed me as head of state.

Former President Jacob Zuma

Zuma further claimed that Hanekom’s lawsuit is meant to gag him from making more revelations on alleged apartheid spies at the state capture inquiry.

It is at the inquiry that Zuma first made allegations of apartheid spies infiltrating the ANC.

He mentioned former ministers Ngoako Ramatlhodi and Siphiwe Nyanda as being alleged apartheid spies.

The two are reportedly considering suing Zuma for defamation as well.

Derek Hanekom: A different Nasrec outcome would have been disastrous for SA

Former Tourism Minister Derek Hanekom has said that a different outcome at African National Congress (ANC) 54th conference in 2017 “would have been disastrous” for South Africa.

Hanekom made the comment on Twitter on Sunday amid the raging debate about CR17 campaign funding.

Let’s just say it, unapologetically, and be frank about it – although we should continue to strive for unity in the ANC – a different outcome at NASREC would have been disastrous for our country.

Derek Hanekom

The conference, which was held Nasrec in Johannesburg, elected Cyril Ramaphosa as ANC President. He later became South Africa’s President.

Ramaphosa was up against Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, who was widely believed to have been backed by former President Jacob Zuma.

Ramaphosa comments on CR17

Hanekom, who is also an ANC National Executive Committee (NEC) member, was reacting to Ramaphosa’s comments on the ongoing CR17 controversy.

Speaking before his departure from Tanzania on Sunday, Ramaphosa said the controversy is not distracting him from his work as president.

Issues that are going on with the Public Protector are par for the course. These are political things that are happening. They are not distracting me.

I was elected by the people of South Africa to do their work and I’ll carry on doing their work.

President Cyril Ramaphosa

Social media is awash with leaked bank statements allegedly from the CR17 campaign accounts.

They reportedly show how individuals received funds from the campaign, apparently to do campaign work in support of Ramaphosa’s candidacy.

‘100% behind Zuma:’ RET Champions vow to meet Hanekom in court

A group calling itself Radical Economic Transformation (RET) Champions has vowed to support former President Jacob Zuma in his upcoming court battle with former minister Derek Hanekom.

Speaking to IOL, the group’s chairman Nkosentsha Shezi criticised Hanekom’s decision to sue Zuma for defamation.

What we can say as RET Champions is that we are 100 percent behind Zuma. Derek Hanekom shall meet us in court and we will expose him. You cannot sue a person for calling you a known agent.

RET Champions chairman Nkosentsha Shezi

The group has previously mobilised large crowds outside Zuma’s court hearings to show their support for the former president.

Shezi said they are yet to meet to discuss possible plans to mobilise similar crowds when the Hanekom matter is heard on 21 August at the Durban High Court.

Both Zuma and Hanekom are members of the African National Congress (ANC) National Executive Committee (NEC).

Hanekom has sued the former for defamation after Zuma tweeted in late July that he is a well-known “enemy agent.”

The ex-minister is seeking R500,000 in damages as well as an order for Zuma to publicly apologise and delete the tweet.

Zuma is opposing the application. It is unclear at this stage whether or not both individuals will appear in court.

Derek Hanekom hauls Zuma to court over apartheid spy claim, seeks R500k

African National Congress (ANC) National Executive Committee (NEC) member has hauled former President Jacob Zuma to court.

He is seeking R500,000 in damages from Zuma over his claim that Hanekom “is a well-known enemy agent.”

Zuma made the claim via Twitter in late July soon after Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) leader Julius Malema claimed Hanekom met them in 2017 to discuss Zuma’s removal from office.

I’m not surprised by @Julius_S_Malema revelations regarding @Derek_Hanekom. It is part of the plan I mentioned at the Zondo Commission. @Derek_Hanekom is a known enemy agent.

Former President Jacob Zuma

‘Defamatory and false’

In court papers filed at the Durban High Court on 5 August, Hanekom says Zuma’s claim is “defamatory and false.”

He is seeking an order for Zuma to delete the tweet and to post the following statement on his Twitter account:

On 25 July 2019, I published a tweet which alleges that Mr Derek Hanekom is a known enemy agent. I unconditionally withdraw this allegation and apologise for making it as it is entirely false. I have no basis whatsoever for asserting that Mr Hanekom is a known enemy agent.

The apology Derek Hanekom is seeking from Jacob Zuma

Hanekom also deposited a founding affidavit in which he says Zuma’s claim “casts aspersions on my character and integrity.”

He denies ever being a spy for the apartheid “or for any other authority for that matter.”

Zuma to oppose application

According to Business Day, Zuma has indicated that he is opposing Hanekom’s court application.

This is the first court application against Zuma over his claims that some leaders in the ANC served as apartheid spies.

During his appearance at the Zondo Commission on State Capture in July, he also claimed that former minister Ngoako Ramatlhodi was an apartheid spy.

Ramatlhodi said he would not take Zuma to court, but challenged him to take a lie detector test to prove his claim.

Carl Niehaus: MKMVA calls for Derek Hanekom’s expulsion from ANC

The uMkhonto we Sizwe Military Veterans Association (MKMVA) has called for the immediate expulsion of Derek Hanekom from the African National Congress (ANC).

MKMVA’s spokesperson Carl Niehaus issued a statement on Thursday morning calling on ANC’s Top 6 officials to immediately suspend Hanekom’s ANC membership.

Thereafter, the ANC National Executive Committee (NEC), which is sitting this weekend, should expel Hanekom, MKMVA demanded.

MKMVA said there’s no need for an investigation because Hanekom has confessed. Under these circumstance, it said ANC has no choice but to expel him.

This course of action should be the absolute and bare minimum. Nothing less will suffice.

MKMVA

The statement expressed “anger and dismay” at Hanekom for confessing to meeting with Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) to discuss former President Jacob Zuma’s removal from office in 2017.

It also applauded the “angry language” ANC Secretary General Ace Magashule used to criticise Hanekom’s actions.

MKMVA described Hanekom as a “traitor” and sounded a stern warning to “counter-revolutionaries and wedge drivers” that ANC will not tolerate them in its ranks.

The controversy surrounding Hanekom’s admission continues to flare in the ANC.

Late on Wednesday night, Magashule issued a strongly worded statement lambasting him as a “charlatan” and wedge driver.

Former President Jacob Zuma also tweeted about Hanekom on Thursday morning, calling him a “known enemy agent.”

Jacob Zuma: ‘Derek Hanekom is a known enemy agent’

Former President Jacob has waded into the controversy surrounding senior African National Congress (ANC) leader Derek Hanekom, describing him as “a known enemy agent.”

In a tweet on Thursday morning, Zuma said he’s not surprised by Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) leader Julius Malema’s revelations about Hanekom.

I’m not surprised by @Julius_S_Malema revelations regarding @Derek_Hanekom. It is part of the plan I mentioned at the Zondo Commission. @Derek_Hanekom is a known enemy agent.

Former President Jacob Zuma

Malema’s claims

Malema sensationally claimed on Tuesday that in 2017, Hanekom met EFF leaders to discuss removing Zuma from power.

Malema claimed that Hanekom also shared with the EFF a list of ANC MPs who were planning to vote against Zuma in Parliament.

Zuma survived the August 2017 vote of no confidence narrowly. According to a News24 report, about 30 ANC MPs voted with the opposition against Zuma.

Hanekom has since admitted to meeting EFF Secretary General Godrich Gardee about two or three times. However, he denied sharing any list with the EFF.

He also denied Malema’s claim that he and others were planning to form a political party if Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma won the ANC’s 54th National Conference in Nasrec in December 2017.

Furore

Zuma’s comment adds to the furore surrounding Hanekom’s admission.

In an extraordinary statement issued by the ANC late Wednesday night, Secretary General Ace Magashule lambasted Hanekom as a “charlatan” and wedge-driver.”

He also accused Hanekom, a long-serving ANC National Executive Committee (NEC) member, and others in the ANC of being “EFF sleepers” working to divide the ANC.

Plan by agencies

In a recent appearance at the Zondo Commission on state capture, Zuma claimed that there has been a plan by three intelligence agencies against him.

He claimed that these agencies have conspired against him since the early 1990s because as ANC’s Chief of Intelligence, he knew of spies within the ANC who were working for “the enemy.”

The constant efforts through the years to keep him from power or to remove him from power are part of this conspiracy, he claimed.

Ace Magashule calls Derek Hanekom ‘a charlatan’ in late-night tirade

African National Congress (ANC) Secretary General Ace Magashule has called senior ANC leader Derek Hanekom “a charlatan” and “wedge driver.”

Magashule’s extraordinary comments are contained in a late-night statement the ANC issued on Wednesday night.

He was responding to Hanekom’s admission that he met Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) in 2017 to discuss removing former President Zuma from office.

He said ANC is “dismayed” by Hanekom’s admission because he had “full access to air his acerbic views in the NEC [National Executive Committee) of the ANC.”

The ANC called for an open vote and it is Hanekom and others who put pressure on the Speaker to accede to the demand by the EFF for a secret ballot.

ANC SG Ace Magashule

Magashule said EFF’s agenda is to displace ANC from power and to divide the ANC by using “a number of sleepers” inside the ANC.

The ANC is working to unite its members and in our midst is Derek Hanekom, a wedge driver and on a mission to divide the ANC.

Indeed this charlatan is making his mark through his ownership of the Ahmed Kathrada Foundation.

ANC SG Ace Magashule

The Secretary General added that Hanekom has no capacity to form a political party but has a “remarkable agility” in dividing the ANC.

He said ANC will unite behind President Cyril Ramaphosa to defeat Hanekom’s “nefarious actions.”

Hanekom has not yet responded to Magashule’s statement. However, EFF leaders have been quick to react.

On Twitter, Julius Malema cited the passage calling Hanekom a charlatan and termed it “profound.”

EFF Deputy President Floyd Shivambu said they still have the list of ANC MPs who voted against Zuma in the 2017 motion of no confidence.

« Older Entries