Tag Archives: ANC

Mzwandile Masina says SA should close Durban harbour ‘so no minerals leave’

Ekurhuleni Mayor Mzwandile Masina wants South Africa to close its Durban port to compel “international manufacturing” to “descend to South Africa.”

Masina made the call in a tweet he posted on Sunday, arguing that this would grant South Africa “full independence from Western imperialists.”

“Democracy is nice and good, but to get our full independence from Western Imperialists we must close down the Durban Harbor so that no Minerals leave this country. In that way, International Manufacturing will descend to SA since we hold 90% of platinum, which the Works so need [sic],” he wrote.

Intense debate

Not surprisingly, the startling tweet has triggered intense debate on social media, racking up more than 800 replies so far.

Some Twitter users, like Masoga Kekana, agreed with Masina. He wrote, “Africa needs to stand firm and have a mineral export pause for the month.

“Can’t have a continent with the GDP smaller than Silicon Valley yet it would be close to nothing without the minerals here. Renegotiate the deals, ensure some finished goods are made here!!”

@Rebaone59275709 added, “I agree with you man, but why don’t you take that to your ANC meetings formally and lobby people in your corrupt organisation to support this so it can be done rather than being talked about?”

However, others slammed Masina’s idea. @mike_superb replied, “When you read things like this written by one of our mayors, then you can understand why our economy is shrinking and unemployment is growing. This is the quality of leadership in SA. He makes Zuma look clever.”

“Actually I was concerned the tweet exposes deep/scary ignorance by someone who served in DTI as a Deputy Minister,” wrote @mokabah.

Masina’s anti-WMC views

Masina is known as an ardent critic of “white monopoly capitalism” (WMC) and supporter of the radical economic transformation (RET) grouping in the African National Congress (ANC).

He made headlines in the run-up to ANC’s 54th national conference in 2017 when he declared he won’t serve under the leadership of Cyril Ramaphosa should he win.

News24 reported at the time that Masina said if Ramaphosa won, “white people will lead South Africa.” However, he didn’t make good on this threat to resign as Ekurhuleni Mayor after Ramaphosa won.

More recently, he publicly criticised Ramaphosa’s decision to reappoint Pravin Gordhan to the Cabinet.

In a News24 article he penned in August, Masina also criticised those who defended Ramaphosa’s CR17 campaign donations.

“We cannot and must never normalise a culture where we defend individuals who commit questionable acts in their personal capacities, and then want to claim that such defence is necessary or even revolutionary,” he wrote.

Morakane Mosupye is new Gauteng economic development MEC as Ramokgopa resigns

Gauteng Premier David Makhura has appointed Ms Morakane Mosupye the new MEC for Economic Development, Agriculture and Environment.

Makhura made the announcement in a statement on Friday. He said the decision is “in keeping with the ANC’s commitment to ensure that women are well represented in executive structures.”

Mosupye is a former councillor and member of municipal council (MMC) in the City of Tshwane.

She also became the first female Speaker of the City of Tshwane in 2011, a position she held until 2016.

She is currently a member of the Provincial Executive Committee (PEC) of the African National Congress (ANC) in Gauteng.

‘New assignment’ for Ramokgopa

Dr Kgosientsho Ramokgopa, who occupied the position before Mosupye’s appointment, has resigned.

In a tweet, Makhura hinted that Ramokgopa will be appointed to a new position soon.

He wrote, “Wishing Dr Sputla Ramokgopa well in his new assignment which will be announced soon!”

The Premier was under pressure from the ANC’s top leadership to drop one male MEC.

This follows an earlier ANC National Executive Committee (NEC) decision to have 60-40% women representation in provincial cabinets where the Premier is male.

Dropped to be deputy minister?

There has been speculation that the dropped MEC could be appointed deputy minister of minerals and energy following the recent passing of Bavelile Hlongwa.

In a statement, Ramokgopa thanked ANC in Gauteng and Makhura for his deployment to the provincial legislature and subsequent appointment as MEC.

He expressed support for Mosupye, but made no mention of his possible appointment as a deputy minister.

ANC plans ‘mass campaign’ to urge society to pay Eskom, water bills

The African National Congress (ANC) has vowed to embark on a mass campaign against nonpayment of services.

This is according to the party’s National Executive Committee (NEC), which concluded a series of meetings over the weekend.

ANC Secretary General Ace Magashule said at a press briefing on Wednesday that municipalities must pay debts owed to Eskom.

The ANC will immediately embark on a mass campaign to mobilise and encourage society to pay for services.

Municipalities owing Eskom and water boards must settle outstanding debts or make arrangements to do so.

ANC NEC

Similarly, the ANC urged Eskom and water boards to refund municipalities that have been overcharged.

User pays principle

Speaking at the press briefing, ANC NEC member and Minister of Finance Tito Mboweni reiterated government’s “user pays principle.”

Services rendered must be paid for. All of us must generate this culture of paying for services rendered.

Tito Mboweni

He referred to “a famous township in Gauteng” which owed Eskom R18 billion, saying it must pay the debt.

Although he didn’t mention the name, the township in question is Soweto.

Eskom senior operations manager Daphne Mokwena said in June that much of Soweto’s astronomical debt is made up of interest accumulated from years of nonpayment.

R21.1 billion owed

In an email to Fin24 in June, Eskom spokesperson Dikatso Mothae put the total capital debt owed by municipalities at R21.1 billion.

Courts have also interdicted Eskom from interrupting electricity supply to 25 defaulting municipalities.

Eskom has had to rely on huge government bailouts to stay afloat and its overall debt now stands at almost R450 billion.

ANC talks tough on corruption in municipalities: ‘We will take firm action’

The African National Congress (ANC) has promised to take “firm action against cadres involved in corruption” in municipalities.

ANC Secretary General Ace Magashule conveyed the party’s National Executive Committee’s (NEC) commitment at a press briefing on Wednesday following its meeting over the weekend.

We commit to clean and ethical governance at local levels, and to taking firm action against cadres involved in corruption, fraud, nepotism and wasteful expenditure.

ANC NEC

The party said its members and leaders should not be involved in local government tender processes.

It said the rise of “predatory business lobbies and forums” has negatively affected local government service delivery and damaged the ANC’s image.

The ANC endorsed the government’s district-based service delivery model launched recently by President Cyril Ramaphosa.

It indicated that it will review its guidelines for candidate selection in preparation for the 2021 local government elections.

Economic recovery strategy

The NEC discussed Finance Minister Tito Mboweni’s economic recovery strategy draft paper.

It subsequently approved “a range of economic policy interventions” to boost economic growth.

These include focusing more on small and medium enterprises, promoting export and growth opportunities in Africa, and prioritising labour intensive sectors such as mining and agriculture.

The ANC directed government to spend more on infrastructure to stimulate demand in the construction industry.

Strategic equity partners

On struggling state-owned enterprises (SOEs) such as Eskom, Denel and South African Airways, the ANC reaffirmed its “longstanding policy with respect to strategic equity partners.”

This suggests that government may proceed with partial privatisation of these SOEs.

Nevertheless, the ANC said “consideration will be given to models of worker and social ownership.”

Sisulu: Malema would not have formed EFF if Winnie Mandela was ANC president

Lindiwe Sisulu says Julius Malema and others would not have formed their own party if the late Winnie Madikizela-Mandela was President of the African National Congress (ANC).

Sisulu, an ANC National Executive Committee (NEC) member, made the comments at a memorial lecture for Madikizela-Mandela in Ngqamakhwe, Eastern Cape, on Thursday.

Imagine further, if she was the president of the ANC, would there have been the creation of the EFF?

Not that I begrudge them the right to exist, but I am certain that with Mam’ Winnie at the helm of the leadership of the ANC, they would not have created their own organisation.

Lindiwe Sisulu

She said EFF’s policies are a “radical expression” of ANC’s policies.

She further suggested that ANC would not have lost three metros at 2016’s local government elections if the EFF was not formed.

‘Patriarchal tendencies’

Sisulu recalled how Madikizela-Mandela felt compelled to withdraw her candidature for ANC deputy president at the party’s 1997 elective conference.

Had she contested and won, she would have likely succeeded former President Thabo Mbeki.

Instead, Jacob Zuma was elected deputy president and later became ANC and state President.

Sisulu said with Madikizela-Mandela as president, “patriarchal tendencies” in the ANC and society would have been “attended to.”

“She would not have allowed us to be where we are right now,” she said.

Sisulu further hailed Madikizela-Mandela as a feminist.

Tributes for Winnie Mandela

The revered anti-apartheid struggle stalwart passed away in April 2018.

South Africa marked what would have been her 83rd birthday on Thursday, 26 September.

In a tweet, President Cyril Ramaphosa described her as a “freedom fighter and revolutionary.”

“She was fierce and unwavering in her fight against injustice, dedicated to the total emancipation of her people,” Ramaphosa added.

EFF also tweeted, “Revolutionary Happy Birthday to a liberator, a freedom fighter, and mother of the nation, Mama Nomzamo Winnie Madikizela-Mandela.”

Maimane threatens court action if Ramaphosa fails to reply to Bosasa question

Mmusi Maimane has threatened court action should President Cyril Ramaphosa fail to reply to his parliamentary question on Bosasa’s alleged donation to the African National Congress (ANC).

News24 reports that the Democratic Alliance (DA) leader has written to Ramaphosa to “remind” him about the matter.

Letter from ANC to Bosasa

On 22 August, Maimane handed Ramaphosa a letter from ANC apparently thanking Bosasa for a R3 million donation.

Health Minister Zweli Mkhize, who was ANC’s Treasurer at the time, signed it.

Maimane asked the president to explain the circumstances surrounding the alleged donation.

Ramaphosa undertook to “reflect” on the letter and reply in due course. However, more than a month later, he hasn’t done so.

Respond, or else…

In his letter dated 20 September, Maimane asked Ramaphosa to respond “urgently” or face court action.

This is a very serious matter of accountability where many of these matters dealing with Bosasa have been discussed at the Zondo Commission of Inquiry into State Capture and where I have raised this issue with the Independent Electoral Commission.

Mmusi Maimane

Bosasa controversies

Bosasa, now known as African Global Operations (AGO), has been dogged by corruption allegations for years.

It has won several lucrative state tenders, mostly with the Department of Correctional Services.

Its former chief operating officer, Angelo Aggrizzi, alleged at the state capture commission of inquiry earlier this year that the company regularly bribed state and ANC officials.

Ramaphosa himself was accused by Public Protector of deliberately misleading parliament about a R500,000 donation from Bosasa’s ex-chief executive officer, the late Gavin Watson.

Watson made the donation to the CR17 campaign that propelled Ramaphosa to ANC presidency in 2017.

Ramaphosa has steadfastly denied knowing about the donation or misleading parliament. He has taken the Public Protector’s report on review.

ANC MP earns DA standing ovation for defending Afrikaans in national anthem

African National Congress (ANC) MP Vuyisile Malomane on Thursday strongly defended the Afrikaans part of the national anthem.

She was addressing Parliament ahead of next week’s Heritage Day holiday.

Her spirited defence earned her a rare standing ovation from Democratic Alliance (DA) MPs.

However, Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) MPs constantly interjected her.

Malomane said Heritage Day was made a national holiday because of South Africa’s rich heritage.

She criticised EFF’s refusal to sing the Afrikaans verses in Nkosi Sikelel’ iAfrika.

When the national anthem was introduced, it has the Afrikaans version. We need to sing it, as it unites us. Never again can we allow narrow nationalism to creep in and consume our nation.

ANC MP Vuyisile Malomane

This drew a sustained standing ovation from DA benches.

Unity

Malomane’s defence of Afrikaans is similar to President Cyril Ramaphosa’s comments on the same matter in Parliament in August.

Ramaphosa said the inclusion of the Afrikaans part was among “compromises” made during the transition to democracy.

He emphasised that South Africa is “on a journey” towards nation-building.

The issue of Die Stem, the part of our national anthem is what we arrived at, as a symbol of enabling us to build the nation that we are.

And as I said, as we proceed on this basis there are compromises, accommodations that need to be made.

President Cyril Ramaphosa

The president however cautioned that unity should not mean forgetting past injustices or allowing some people to “hanker for the past.”

Magashule: I was among those who approached Ramaphosa to become ANC DP

African National Congress (ANC) Secretary-General Ace Magashule has said he was among those who approached Cyril Ramaphosa to become ANC Deputy President in 2012.

Magashule was addressing ANC-aligned students at Wits University on Wednesday ahead of student representative council elections.

He was reiterating his “principle” of defending all elected ANC leaders, including Nelson Mandela, Thabo Mbeki, Jacob Zuma, and now Ramaphosa.

In 2012 in Mangaung, it was us who identified comrade Cyril to become the Deputy President of the ANC.

It was us, with Zweli Mkhize and Supra Mahumapelo – when others were saying Cyril is part of capital and the bourgeoisie – it was us who defended him.

Ace Magashule

Magashule emphasised that he “respects” President Ramaphosa because that’s how he has been “nurtured in the politics of the ANC.”

No Fightback

Magashule also dismissed perceptions that defending or supporting former President Jacob Zuma is “fighting back.”

Even now when I say President Zuma has been dealt with, there’s no fightback. I can’t fight back. Fight back against what?

Ace Magashule

He said Zuma is being “dealt with” in order to weaken the ANC and “the revolution.”

Pieter-Louis Myburgh’s book about him, Gangster State, is also part of efforts to divide ANC, he claimed.

The ANC Secretary-General said he’ll continue fighting for the implementation of ANC conference resolutions.

In this regard, he said there are no differences between him and Ramaphosa.

We as the Top 6, myself and President Ramaphosa, we have not differed. And it is president and all of us who are saying we must implement the resolutions of Nasrec.

Ace Magashule

‘White monopoly capital’

Magashule also repeated his long-held view that South Africa’s economy is controlled by “a few,” which is “white monopoly capital.”

He said monopoly capital in South Africa has to be labelled “white” so that people fight it with more vigour.

“If you say monopoly capital you are not going to dismantle it,” he explained.

Magashule also called for the unity of African countries and the BRICS formation (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) to defeat “western imperialism.”

ANC sued over alleged failure to pay R102m for election banners

A KwaZulu-Natal company is suing the African National Congress (ANC) over its alleged failure to pay it R102 million for election banners.

According to The Star, Ezulweni Investments claims it never received payment for installing around 30,000 PVC banners for the ANC across the country.

The company claims it made the installations just one week before the May 8 elections.

It names Nhlanhla Mabaso and Lebohang Nkholise as the Luthuli House officials who ordered the banners.

In court papers filed at the Johannesburg High Court, Ezulweni Investments CEO Renash Ramdas says ANC made promises to pay but has not done so since May.

He says he wrote to ANC President Cyril Ramaphosa and Secretary-General Ace Magashule, but received no replies.

ANC reacts

Speaking to The Star, ANC spokesperson Pule Mabe said he would “follow up with relevant offices” in the party.

The party would then be able to express its position on the matter once consultations are complete, he said.

ANC facing other lawsuits

The ANC has faced several other lawsuits in the past as a result of alleged non-payment for services.

In July, a car rental company based in Ekurhuleni hauled the party to court to force it to pay R5.7 million.

The payment is reportedly for 595 cars the ANC rented ahead of its Nasrec conference in 2017.

In January, the party also lost its website after apparently failing to pay Unwembi Communications R32 million for various services.

‘Fake news:’ Pretoria High Court on claims that judges got CR17 money

The Pretoria High Court has dismissed claims that some of its judges received money from the CR17 campaign.

The claims surfaced on social media on Monday, but remain unverified so far.

They have been trending under the hashtags #CR17BankStatements and #CR17Leaks on Twitter.

‘Scurrilous fake news’

In a statement sent to the media on Monday, Pretoria High Court’s Judge President Dunstan Mlambo said the claims are “scurrilous fake news.”

Judge President Mlambo dismisses the scurrilous fake news with the contempt they deserve.

Judge President Dunstan Mlambo

He challenged the “authors” of the claims to approach law enforcement agencies or the state capture commission of inquiry.

They should do so “with evidence, such as bank accounts into which these alleged payments were made,” he added.

CR17 campaign funding imbroglio

“CR17” was the campaign slogan President Cyril Ramaphosa’s supporters used to support his ascendancy to the presidency of the African National Congress (ANC) in 2017.

However, it is now infamous for its funding controversy since Public Protector Busisiwe Mkhwebane released her report into it in July.

The campaign’s bank statements have been leaked to the media and social media.

As a result, donors and recipients of campaign funds have been revealed.

President Ramaphosa has maintained that there was nothing wrong with raising funds to run his campaign.

He has taken Mkhwebane’s report on review and a hearing is expected soon.

« Older Entries