If you’re in South Africa and are a Capitec Bank customer, chances are that you have heard of the Capitec tap to pay with phone feature.
Customers who have activated this feature can easily make payments by tapping their phones on point-of-sale (POS) devices, such as card machines at supermarkets, restaurants or other business establishments.
In many cases, this is convenient if you have forgotten to carry your bank card or if you simply wish to make your payment faster without rummaging through your pocket or purse for your card.
How to use Capitec tap to pay with phone
You can use Capitec tap to pay with phone with Samsung Pay, Google Pay or Apple Pay. See how you can do it in the respective sections below.
Capitec tap to pay with Samsung Pay
Before you can tap to pay with Samsung Pay, you first need to open the Samsung Wallet app on your phone. The app is pre-installed on the latest Samsung devices. Next, follow the prompts to set up your Samsung Wallet. Once you have set it up successfully, load your Capitec card on Samsung Wallet as follows:
- On the Samsung Wallet Home tab, tap “Payment Cards.”
- Tap “Add Card.” You can then add your card by either scanning your actual card, tapping your contactless card on the back of your Samsung Galaxy smartphone or entering the card information manually.
- The app will then validate your card. Agree to the terms of service.
- You will receive an SMS prompting you to verify your card.
- Enter your signature on screen.
- The app will display a confirmation that your card has been added successfully.
Once you have successfully added your Capitec card to Samsung Wallet, you can now tap to pay with your phone using Samsung Pay.
At the point of sale, follow the steps below to tap and pay:
- Open the Samsung Wallet app.
- Navigate to Samsung Pay.
- Choose your default card or another card you wish to pay with.
- Tap Pay.
- Confirm the transaction with your biometrics or your Samsung Pay PIN
- Tap your phone on the card machine.
- If prompted, enter your PIN.
Capitec tap to pay with Google Pay
If you have an Android phone, you can use Google Pay for your Capitec tap to pay transactions. First, download the Google Wallet app on your phone, open it and follow the prompts to set it up.
Next, follow the steps below to add your Capitec card to Google Wallet:
- Open the Google Wallet app and tap the + sign.
- Enter your card and address details.
- Agree to the terms and conditions.
- Verify your card and follow the prompts.
- The app will then ask you to set up a screen lock, if you don’t already have one.
- The app will finally display a confirmation that your card has been added successfully.
Once you have added your Capitec card to Google Wallet successfully, you can now tap to pay at most card machines across South Africa. Simply tap your phone on the card machine and the payment will go through as long as you have sufficient funds in your account. You will also see a confirmation message on your phone’s screen.
Capitec tap to pay with Apple Pay
Capitec tap to pay is also available for iPhone users via Apple Pay’s Wallet app, which is usually pre-installed. First, open the Wallet app and set it up if you haven’t done so already. Next, add your Capitec card to the Wallet app using the steps below:
- Open the Wallet app.
- Tap “Add.”
- Tap “Credit Card/Debit Card” followed by “Continue.”
- Follow the easy prompts to add your card.
Once you have added your card successfully, you can tap to pay with your phone through the steps below:
- Double-click the side button of your iPhone.
- Your default card and the Face ID icon will display on your phone’s screen.
- Follow the prompts to authenticate the transaction. You’ll then see a message that states, “Hold Near Reader.”
- Hold the top of your iPhone near the contactless reader (card machine).
- If the payment is successful, the point-of-sale device will display a confirmation message.
- You’ll see “Done” and a tick on your iPhone’s screen.
As can be seen, using Capitec tap to pay with phone can make payments at business establishments easier and more convenient. In case you have further enquiries, you may consult the Samsung Pay FAQs, Google Pay FAQs and Apple Pay FAQs pages on the Capitec Bank website.