ANC dismisses disciplinary action bid against Ramaphosa over CR17 campaign fundraising

ANC Cyril Ramaphosa
Cyril Ramaphosa. Image credit: Facebook/MyANC

The ANC has dismissed a bid to institute disciplinary action against President Cyril Ramaphosa over the CR17 campaign fundraising controversy.

Eight ANC members, who claimed to represent members in eight provinces, had written to the party’s Secretary-General’s Office in August calling for Ramaphosa to be disciplined.

They claimed Ramaphosa had violated the ANC constitution by fundraising for his CR17 campaign that won him the party’s presidency at the 2017 national conference held at NASREC, Johannesburg.

They further argued that internal rules prohibit the use of money to “influence conference outcomes” and that the ANC constitution only allows fundraising for the party, not for individuals.

No grounds, no legal standing

However, in a leaked letter, Deputy Secretary-General Jessie Duarte informed the group that the ANC’s National Disciplinary Committee (NDC) had referred the matter to the party’s chief national presenter for disciplinary proceedings Uriel Abrahamse.

For his part, Abrahamse found that there are no grounds to institute disciplinary action against Ramaphosa and that the group had no legal standing to institute disciplinary proceedings.

“Only the Officials, National Executive Committee, National Working Committee, provincial executive committees, PWC, the RWC, the BEC or the office bearers of any of these structures have the right to invoke disciplinary proceedings under the ANC Constitution,” Abrahamse is quoted saying.

Duarte ‘playing a political game’

Speaking to News24 on Wednesday, the group’s spokesperson, Onica Maphisa, said Duarte and Abrahamse had misunderstood their demands.

“This is misconstruing the [ANC] constitution. [Duarte] is playing a political game. There is no way it is only institutional structures that can make applications,” Maphisa said.

“We are asking the NDC to charge [Ramaphosa]. We are not saying we are the ones who want to charge him.”

In an interview with Newzroom Afrika on Tuesday (5 October), ANC’s Head of Presidency, Sibongile Besani, dismissed the group as “political delinquents,” adding that the matter had already been ventilated in the party and that the ANC is focused on election campaigns.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.