The Department of Basic Education has announced that applications for phase two of teacher assistant jobs are now open following the successful phase one which ended in April.
In a statement on Sunday (26 September), the Department said applications for the Basic Education Employment Initiative (BEEI) will close on 3 October 2021.
287,000 opportunities available
BEEI is part of the Presidential Youth Employment Initiative. In phase two, BEEI seeks to provide 287,000 unemployed young people employment and training opportunities in the education sector.
Of these, around 192,000 will be Education Assistants and approximately 95,000 will be General School Assistants. Successful applicants will be placed in schools for five months from 1 November 2021 to 31 March 2022.
“Youth between the ages of 18 and 35, who are currently neither in education/training, nor receiving any form of government grant, as well as young people with disability and women, are eligible and encouraged to apply for this enriching experience,” the Department said.
“Candidates who are selected for placement, will have an opportunity to receive training on various skills that will equip them for future employment opportunities.”
Department of Basic Education’s teacher assistant jobs
According to the Department of Basic Education, the following teacher assistant jobs are available:
- Education Assistant – Curriculum.
- Education Assistant – ICT/e-Cadres.
- Education Assistant – Reading Champions.
- General School Assistant – Child & Youth Care Worker.
- General School Assistant – Handyman (no matric required).
- General School Assistant – Sports and Enrichment Agent (no matric required).
To qualify for Education Assistant opportunities, an applicant must have passed matric English. Having an NQF Level 4, 6 and 7 qualification certificate will be an added advantage.
To qualify as a General School Assistant for Infrastructure support (Handyman) or Sports and Enrichment Agents, an applicant does not need to have a matric certificate. However, Trade certificates will be an added advantage.
“To work in the education environment, you must have a good ability to work with people and within groups, have good communication skills, be a good listener, and have interest in academics,” the Department said.
How to apply
To apply for teacher assistant jobs, you need to register on sayouth.mobi, create a profile and submit your application there. All applications will be online and no walk-ins will be allowed in schools, according to the Department.
Once you have completed your registration, the website will show a list of jobs available in your area, including Opportunity Cards for schools that are close to your location. The Department advised applicants to only apply to schools where they can easily walk to every day.
The next step is to click the “Read More” button to see more details about your chosen job opportunity. If you’re interested, click “Apply Now.”
Once you have completed your application, you will see a confirmation screen. Shortlisted applicants will be contacted by SMS or mobile phone call by the school before 24 October 2021.
In a Twitter update on Monday (27 September), the Department outlined the following criteria for applicants:
- Applicants must not turn 36 before 31 March 2022.
- Live within walking distance from school.
- Must not be working, studying or training (even part-time).
- Only one opportunity can be taken up per household.
- Must not be receiving a government grant (NSFAS, Funza Lushaka).
- No criminal record.
Applicants who receive a notice that they have been shortlisted will be required to provide the following documents:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV).
- Testimonials (former school, local chief, church leader, etc).
- Police clearance certificates.
- Affidavit/Declaration by applicant stating he/she has no criminal record while awaiting the police clearance.
- Certified qualifications such as Matric, (where applicable: NQF Level 4 qualification certificate, for Education Assistant applicants with NQF level 6 and 7 an added advantage).
- Certified copy of identity document/passport.
Successful applicants will also receive training in various fields, including in ICT, child and youth care, and infrastructure maintenance. For more information and updates, follow BEEI on Facebook and Twitter.