The Gauteng provincial government says it has no record of 10 babies born in any public or private hospital in the province – but the family has apparently issued a statement confirming the births.
In a statement, Gauteng provincial spokesperson Thabo Masebe said the government had conducted a “thorough check” of all hospitals in the province to determine the veracity of the reports.
“None of the hospitals in the province, public and private, have any records of such a delivery in their records,” he added.
Pretoria News first broke the news on Tuesday (8 June) and has shared videos of interviews with 37-year-old Gosiame Thamara Sithole, who is said to be the babies’ mother, and her husband Tebogo Tsotetsi on its social media pages.
Confusion around 10 babies born in South Africa
Masebe’s statement and media comments only deepened the confusion surrounding the 10 babies said to be born in South Africa.
Earlier on Wednesday, Gauteng Social Development Department spokesperson Feziwe Ndwayana said Sithole and her decuplets were recuperating “at a place of safety.”
“Will share the information with National Government. I know we were a joke yesterday when government was genuinely looking for [the] family. Some of our local comrades have been assisting this family. So we are good OK.”
Family issues statement
On Wednesday evening, Masina also tweeted a statement said to be from the Tsotetsi family also confirming the births.
“The family notes and welcomes the public interest in the new addition and birth of 10 bundles of joy. We wish to confirm that on Monday, 7 June 2021 at around 11:00am, we received a call from the hospital informing us of the birth,” the statement said.
“We called back the number and got further confirmation from the mother, Gosiame Sithole, who was still in pain. She and the 10 bundles of joy are doing well and still in hospital.”