Miss South Africa 2021 applications are now officially open and the pageant has outlined eligibility requirements as well as details on how to apply.
In a statement issued last week, the pageant said applications officially opened on 24 May 2021 and will close at midnight on 24 June 2021.
‘A leading voice’
“We are delighted that the Miss South Africa brand continues to provide a leading voice for not only the winners, but also all young entrants and finalists who join us as a part of this empowerment platform,” Miss South Africa Organisation’s Stephanie Weil said.
“We can’t wait to meet the class of 2021 and introduce them to all of South Africa!”
Miss South Africa 2021 will be held in October at an event where the incumbent, Shudufhadzo Musida, will hand over the crown to the winner. Musida is also set to compete in the Miss World pageant in December.
“This journey has been one of the highlights of my life – one that I will never forget and will cherish for as long as I live. You too can do it!,” she urged aspirant contestants.
Miss South Africa 2021 requirements
The following are the Miss South Africa 2021 eligibility requirements as outlined on the organisation’s website:
- An applicant must be at least 20 years old and be under 28 years of age as of 1 October 2021. This means that an applicant can turn 28 within their year of reign.
- Must be a South African citizen and in possession of a valid South African ID document or passport. If applicant holds dual citizenship, please provide details of same.
- The applicant is not required to currently be in possession of a valid driver’s license. However, in the event that the applicant makes it through as a finalist, they may be expected to have taken steps to attain their driver’s license by the time of the final pageant event (October 2021) due to sponsor requirements.
- In order to be eligible to compete internationally, the applicant shall not have ever been married (civil nor customary), nor had a marriage annulled.
- In order to be eligible to compete internationally, the titleholders are required to remain unmarried throughout their reign. It is accepted that an applicant may be in a committed relationship or engaged; however, they must adhere to the rule of not getting married during the Miss SA pre-competition process or during year of reign.
- In order to be eligible to compete internationally, the applicant must be in a position to represent and warrant that they have never given birth to, or parented a child and is not currently pregnant.
- The applicant may not have previously won Miss South Africa or held the title of Miss South Africa in a previous year (an applicant may enter again if they have been a finalist in a preceding year).
- The applicant should have no criminal record and be truthful in respect of all matters in relation to the run-up to the competition, the competition itself and the period after the competition.
- There is no restriction in terms of tattoos or piercings that the applicant may have.
- The applicant must be in a position to represent and warrant that they have not been involved in any unsavoury or unethical incidents or conduct that may bring the organisers or the competition into disrepute, as determined by the organisers in their sole and absolute discretion. Unsavoury or unethical conduct shall include, but not be limited to, racism, bribery, sexism, slander or libel.
- In the event that any false or misleading information of whatsoever kind is submitted by the applicant, the organisation may in its sole discretion take any action that it deems appropriate, including without limitation, disqualification from participating in the Miss South Africa pageant, and/or termination of reign as a titleholder or as Miss South Africa 2021, as applicable.
- Finalists may be required to attend and/or endorse certain objectives as required by the Miss SA organisation which may include online or physical attendance at sponsor events and workshops and will therefore not be eligible to enter another competition that may coincide with the timeline of the pre-competition and pageant.
- Should you be selected as part of the top 30 for Miss SA 2021,you will be required to ensure your availability for judging beginning of July 2021. Format and details will be shared by the Miss SA organisation.
- Should you be selected as a Miss SA 2021 top 10 finalist, you will be required to ensure your availability to the Miss SA organisation for July to mid-October 2021. Format and details will be shared by the Miss SA organisation.
- Miss South Africa 2021 pageant finale will take place in mid-October 2021. Date to be confirmed.
- The winner of the Miss South Africa pageant will be contracted to the Miss SA organisation as a brand ambassador thereof for their full year reign. Following the completion of their reign, they may be required to assist with up to 12 appearances.
- Applicants placing in the top 3 of the competition hereby agree to be contracted to the Miss SA organisation for the year following the pageant event.
- No family of the Miss South Africa organisation or related companies, Sun International Limited, MultiChoice, any sponsor, production company, advertising agencies or suppliers associated with the competition will be permitted to enter.
How to apply
To apply, applicants need to visit the Miss South Africa 2021 entry page and fill an online entry form.
Details required include name and surname, ID number, age, date of birth, cellphone number, email address, physical address city, province you were born in, and province you currently live in.
Applicants are also required to provide two images of themselves in high resolution – one colour head and shoulders image and one colour full body image.
In addition, applicants need to post an introduction video of themselves on social media (Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and not longer than 45 seconds) using the hashtag #MissSA2021 and tag the Official Miss South Africa accounts. They will then copy and paste a link of the video on the online entry form.
Other requirements include:
- Copy of ID document or Passport.
- Copy of South African driver’s license (optional – refer to eligibility requirements above).
- Links to your social media accounts.
- Emergency contact details.
- Details of community service or organisations you are involved with.
- Details of current modelling contracts.
- A brief explanation of why you should be Miss South Africa 2021.