ANC resolves to suspend Magashule and others who haven’t stepped aside

Ace Magashule. Image credit: Twitter/ANC

The ANC’s National Working Committee (NWC) has resolved to suspend members who face corruption and other serious charges but haven’t stepped aside from their leadership positions voluntarily.

This includes Secretary-General Ace Magashule, who reportedly told the rest of the party’s Top 6 officials that he will not step aside after a 30-day deadline lapsed last week.

Instruction

In a statement on Tuesday (4 May), the NWC said it had “instructed that the necessary letters must be written to the affected members implementing this decision.”

The letters must outline the terms and conditions regulating the members’ participation and conduct in organisational activities during their suspension.

This means that Deputy Secretary-General Jessie Duarte will send Magashule and ANC National Executive Committee (NEC) member Bongani Bongo letters informing them of their suspension from the party.

Provincial and regional leaders affected by the decision will receive their suspension letters from there respective provincial secretaries.

Some have stepped aside voluntarily

The NWC noted that some members have opted to step aside voluntarily and directed them to update their relevant secretariat on a monthly basis regarding progress with their cases.

“The decision by a member to step aside will be reviewed by the relevant structure of the organisation every six months,” it added.

There are indications that the party may set up an appeals panel for members who may wish to appeal decisions of the Integrity Commission.

The ANC is set to hold a special NEC meeting this weekend to discuss reports from the Commission.

With Magashule suspended, Duarte is set to perform his functions in an acting capacity. Magashule appeared in court in November last year and February this year on corruption charges.

The charges relate to a R255 million asbestos audit project in the Free State dating back to his term as Premier. He is out on R200,000 bail and has steadfastly maintained his innocence.

1 Trackback / Pingback

  1. ‘Respect NEC decisions’ – ANC to Magashule after letter ‘suspending’ Ramaphosa | Current Affairs ZA

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.