The SA Social Security Agency (SASSA) has launched an online grant application portal for certain SASSA grant applications.
In a statement on Monday, the Agency said the pilot project will commence on 14 September, 2020 until 25 September, 2020.
The pilot project will cover the Child Support, Older Persons and Foster Child grants. “After reviewing the system, other grants will also be added to the portal,” SASSA said.
SASSA grant applications online link
Applicants can visit the SASSA grant applications online link at https://services.sassa.gov.za/, which the Agency said is a secure website.
Applicants can use computers or mobile devices to access the service. “The turnaround time is 10 days, provided the applicant supplies all the stipulated documents such as identity documents of applicant and spouse as well as banking details, among others,” SASSA said.
The online portal provides the following services:
- SASSA child grant applications, foster child grant applications and older persons grant applications.
- Online submission of the required supporting documentation linked to the applications.
- Change of circumstances, such as payment method, banking details, address etc.
- Checking SASSA grant application status.
Applicants need to have an email address to sign up and log onto the SASSA online portal. Applicants who do not have an email address will receive feedback via SMS. The system will generate a receipt once the application is completed.
“It is important to note that required supporting documents to be attached must be certified. These documents should be certified by a commissioner of oaths,” SASSA said.
The Agency explained that the online service means applicants can avoid the inconvenience of queuing at SASSA offices. It will also reduce the risk of contracting COVID-19 because applicants no longer need to be in a public space when applying or checking their grant status.
SASSA child grant application requirements
According to the Agency’s website, the following are the SASSA child grant application requirements:
- The primary care giver must be a South African citizen, permanent resident or refugee.
- Both the applicant and the child must reside in South Africa.
- The applicant must be the primary caregiver of the child or children concerned.
- The child or children must been born after 31 December, 1993.
- The applicant and spouse must meet the requirements of the means test.
- The applicant cannot apply for more than six non-biological children.
- The child cannot be cared for in a state institution.
SASSA old age grant requirements
- The applicant must be a South African citizen, permanent resident or refugee.
- The applicant must be resident in South Africa and must not be younger than 60 years.
- The applicant must not be receiving another social grant for him or herself.
- The applicant and spouse must comply with the means test.
- The applicant must not be maintained or cared for in a state institution.
- The applicant must submit a 13-digit bar-coded identity document or smart ID card.
SASSA foster child grant requirements
- The applicant and child must be resident in South Africa.
- The applicant must provide a court order indicating foster care status.
- The foster parent must be a South African citizen, permanent resident or refugee.
- The child must remain in the care of the foster parent or parents.
- The foster parent must provide a 13-digit bar-coded identity document or smart ID card.
- The applicant must provide a birth certificate for the foster child.