Legendary actor Menzi Nugaben won’t be joining The Queen filming yet after his family requested for more time for him to “focus on his health and recovery.”
In a statement on Monday, DSTV channel Mzansi Magic said Ngubane was set to join production of the popular telenovela’s season 5 in July.
The Queen executive producer Connie Ferguson said, “We were very excited when we announced that Menzi will be joining The Queen family, as he brings with him a wealth of experience.
“We will continue keeping them in our prayers and supporting them on this journey, and wish Menzi strength to continue fighting the good fight, and come back stronger than ever.”
“We can’t wait for him to make his return soon to entertain our viewers with his charismatic acting skills and screen presence,” co-executive producer Shona Ferguson added.
Health reports ‘grossly exaggerated’
Fans have been eagerly anticipating Ngubane’s debut on The Queen since Mzansi Magic made the announcement in May. He was set to join together with popular actress Jessica Nkosi. Both had featured on another Mzansi Magic drama series, Isibaya, until recently.
In May, Ngubane’s family issued a public statement saying media reports about his health had been “grossly exaggerated.” His wife, Sikie Ngubane, said the actor was receiving family support.
She added, “We understand their concerns and support for Menzi, but as the family, we appeal to South Africans to refrain from spreading news that have not been verified and confirmed by the family.
“To this end, we wish to continue as the family to offer him the support he needs following his recent visit to the doctors. It is this visit that has been grossly exaggerated by newspapers and social media users.”
In its statement on Monday, Mzansi Magic said it was “devastated by the news of Ngubane’s health challenges” and wished him a speedy recovery.
Nomsa Philiso, the Channel Director for local entertainment Channels at M-Net, added, “The health and wellbeing of our talent remains a priority and we commend Ferguson Films for taking all the necessary precautions to allow him to focus on his health.”
Ngubane had a kidney transplant in 2014 after suffering kidney failure. He was starring on SABC1‘s Generations at the time.