Popular SABC1 talk show Zaziwa will reportedly not be recommissioned for another season and the host, Pearl Modiadie, says she found out about it on social media.
Entertainment commentator Kgopolo Mphela tweeted about the show’s cancellation on Friday morning.
He wrote, “TV: ZAZIWA is CANCELLED. SABC has officially cancelled its popular talkshow hosted by Pearl Modiadie.”
He added, “The show performed well ratings wise – peaking at 4.2 – million viewers over its run. But it was sabotaged when the channel meddled and kept moving the show’s time slot around.”
A short while later, Modiadie quoted Mphela’s tweet and wrote, “It’s heartbreaking to find out on social media.”
Earlier this week, entertainment publication ZAlebs quoted SABC spokesperson Mmoni Seapolelo confirming the Zaziwa‘s cancellation.
Seapolelo reportedly said, “A decision was taken not to recommission the show for another season. The channel is, however, exploring other content ideas and formats in the slot, allowing room to curate a diverse offering to viewers.”
Fans not pleased
However, it appears Modiadie was in the dark, something that angered a number of her and the show’s fans on social media.
Fellow TV presenter Siphesihle Vazi replied to Modiadie’s tweet and wrote, “I’m so sorry you had to find out like this @PearlModiadie
“You MADE Zaziwa an iconic show telling authentic South African stories. We will forever love and appreciate you for that. February 2018 you made one of my on screen dreams come true. THANK YOU!!”
Zaziwa has hosted dozens of South Africa’s top celebrities since it started in 2013 and has established itself as a firm favourite among fans.
SABC continues to face financial difficulties, something that has affected some of its programmes. Zaziwa appears to be its latest casualty.
In November last year, the state broadcaster announced that it would decommission SABC3‘s long-running soapie Isidingo, whose final episode will air on Thursday, 12 March, 2020.