The woman claiming to have had “blesser-blessee” relationships with Ministers Gwede Mantashe and Tito Mboweni has revealed more details about them.
In a video that has gone viral on social media, 26-year-old Lerato Makgatho said she has since “broken up” with the ministers.
She said, “Tito Mboweni we broke up last year November and Gwede Mantashe early this year, but we are still good friends. We still communicate; we’re not enemies.”
The Pretoria-based Makgatho, who describes herself as an aspiring actress, said she decided to come out publicly to stop potential extortion attempts against the ministers.
She then went ahead to speak of the rather finer details of her alleged relationships with Mantashe and Mboweni, which the ministers would probably wish she hadn’t.
Both Mboweni and Mantashe have not publicly spoken about the matter and it’s unclear whether Makgatho is telling the truth or not.
However, Mantashe got into trouble for telling Sunday World, which broke the story last Sunday, that he had paid two journalists to make the story disappear.
‘Never paid any journalists’
Mantashe later insisted that although he had made the claim, he never actually bribed any journalists.
On Thursday, he met the South African National Editors Forum (SANEF), after which his spokesperson David Shabangu issued a statement.
Shabangu said, “He [Mantashe] neither met with nor paid any journalists. He retracts what he said.
“The minister further commits to fully participate in SANEF’s inquiry into media ethics and credibility led by retired Judge [Kathy] Satchwell.”
The African National Congress, of which Mantashe is National Chairperson, said it welcomed his statement and commitment to participate in the inquiry.
ANC spokesperson Pule Mabe wrote, “We accept his assurance that he was never and will never be involved in acts that may erode the credibility and integrity of the media. Bribing journalists is not only criminal and unethical, it is also inconsistent with the values of the ANC.”