President of Nigeria Muhammadu Buhari has vowed to continue putting pressure on the South African government to stop recurring acts of xenophobia.
He made the announcement via his Twitter page on Monday after receiving a report from his Special Envoy, Ambassador Ahmed Rufai Abubakar.
Abubakar met President Cyril Ramaphosa on Friday to discuss Nigeria’s concerns about the unrest that engulfed parts of Gauteng last week.
Buhari said the recurring unrest is “worrying” and could dent South Africa’s image in the continent.
We will continue to put pressure on the South African Government to take concrete and visible measures to stop violence against citizens of other African nations.President Muhammadu Buhari
He said his government will do its best to ensure the safety of Nigerians in South Africa and of South Africans in Nigeria.
Buhari added that his government has made arrangements for “immediate voluntary evacuation” of Nigerians in South Africa who are willing to go back.
Firm and strong relations
Following his meeting with Special Envoy Abubakar, President Ramaphosa reaffirmed the “firm and strong relations” between the two countries.
He said Nigeria had undertaken to act against the targeting of South African assets in Nigeria.
South Africa’s consulate in Lagos was forced to close its doors following protests outside its premises last week.
A number of South African businesses in Nigeria, such as Shoprite, were also targeted.
Ramaphosa further revealed that Buhari will undertake a state visit to South Africa in October.