Former President Jacob Zuma has disputed a Sunday Times report that the late Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi gave him $30million (around R422million) for safekeeping in 2011.
Sunday Times further claimed that Zuma had allegedly moved the money to Eswatini (formerly Swaziland) earlier this year, where King Mswati III’s government allegedly kept it safe.
However, Zuma posted a tweet on Tuesday asking where the money is because he owes “millions in legal fees.”
Africa News 24-7, which Zuma often uses to share his views on various issues, also revealed that the former president is set to sue Sunday Times over the controversial report.
According to News24, Zuma’s lawyer Dan Mantsha is however unaware of this alleged decision to sue. He said he would consult Zuma over the matter.
On Sunday, International Relations and Cooperation Minister Lindiwe Sisulu referred to the allegations as a “ghost story.”
This is very much like a ghost story. If you believe in a ghost you will see a ghost, but you will never be able to touch it. This is a story that has been circulating for many, many years.Lindiwe Sisulu
She further said as far as she’s aware, there’s no such money in Eswatini. She added that South Africa would investigate the matter should Libyan authorities request it to do so.